Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Guts, glory and the ultimate test of my patience


 
Warren Mott's Alexis Fleming advances around Centerline's Nadine Abroo during an out-of-division match on Wednesday.
Al Velasco, varsity coach of the Warren Mott Marauders, instructs midfielder Alexis Fleming during the middle of play. 

In the back of a pickup truck, some young Marauders fans get an up-close view of a Warren Mott Varsity corner kick.
    For my sports assignment, I attended a women's soccer friendly between the Warren Mott Marauders and Centerline Panthers. Warren Mott competes two divisions higher than Centerline during the regular season, so the game was exciting to watch as a Marauder fan. 

    Overall, the Lady Marauders dominated the game play with the goals distributed amongst at least four different Mott players. Mott's midfielder Alexis Fleming had excellent ball control throughout the game, giving her forwards more passing and goal-scoring opportunities. Mott Head Coach Al Velasco rallied his team with a calm nature during the game, and he encouraged the girls to work on making long passing runs and incorporating kickoff plays by the opponent's net.


     I didn't expect sports photography to be easy, but this assignment really tested my patience and endurance as a photographer. Not only do you need to follow the game play, you must keep an eye on the coaches, benches and fans and constantly adjust your camera settings (at least for outdoors events). Since I was lucky enough to have free reign of the entire field, I was able to vary my shots and look for interesting new perspectives. 

    Still, even if I had good framing, I needed the picture to be properly exposed and in focus to be considered a usable image. While I don't see myself shooting sports regularly for a career, I can take what I know and love about photography to produce quality memories for my family one day.


Get Adobe Flash player
Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment